“Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.” –Thoreau

14 October 2013

What We Eat

10/5/2013

My breakfast was two pieces of toast with peanut butter and honey. For lunch, I had a grilled tomato-and-cheese sandwich, which was tasty and quick. I was in a hurry to get to the library to work while Casey took Fiona to a hobby expo. I took an apple with me and ate it when I got hungry.

For dinner, we eat leftovers in the form of simple taco salads--a big bowl of lettuce with tomato, cheddar cheese, and reheated taco meat. I fried up some strips of corn tortillas to top it off. I added olive oil and lime juice. We each added a little dressing. I also made us green (or, in this case, purple) smoothies using banana, coconut milk, almond milk, blueberries, strawberries, and spinach.

Purple smoothie! Yum!

10/6/2013

Breakfast was bread and butter, with tea. My stomach wasn't feeling so hot. As usual, Casey did not eat breakfast. For lunch, I made a green smoothie with almond milk, spinach, strawberries, and banana. Casey ate some leftover pasta.

For dinner, I made us tuna melts. They're the only warm tuna dish that Casey likes. I really love tuna melts with sharp cheddar cheese, and it's a relatively gentle meal for my tender tummy. Casey also ate a green salad, but I just ate the sandwich.

Toasted bread is a must.

10/7/2013

I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast. I did not eat lunch because I worked through it at the library. No snacks either so I was very hungry! When I got home, I had a small serving of leftover pasta.

For dinner, I put together an egg bake with potato, sausage and cheddar cheese.

Note the proportion of veggies to meat/egg.

I included the recipe for this dish in the comments of a previous post. The sausage tasted good, but I like it just as well with deli ham. We ate it with salad, and this was my portion. Casey ate a second piece of the egg bake.

10/8/2013

Peanut butter toast for breakfast. My lunch was a chocolate-banana smoothie (banana, almond milk, spinach, peanut butter, and a little dark cocoa powder). I ate an apple with cheese slices mid-afternoon, and that was enough until dinner.

We made shepherd's pie for dinner. Shepherd's (or "cottage") pie is an Irish dish. If you've never eaten it before, it's fairly simple; I made mine with ground beef and frozen mixed vegetables, as well as a quarter of an onion and some minced garlic. It is topped with mashed potatoes and then browned in the oven. A cast iron skillet is awesome for this, but you could cook the elements on the stove and then transfer them to a baking dish.

One of Casey's favorite meals.

10/9/2013 


For breakfast, I had an apple and a piece of bread with butter. My stomach wasn't feeling too hot, probably because I had a cold. At lunch, I was pretty hungry. I ate leftover shepherd's pie and a small salad. 

We eat leftovers for dinner, as we often do. I had shepherd's pie (twice in one day, because I was sick and it sounded edible) and Casey ate the last of the pasta with a big salad.


10/10/2013

Breakfast on Thursday was typical--a little toast with peanut butter and jam. I felt pretty good again, so it must have been a 24-hour flu. I had leftover egg bake for lunch, and snacked on baby carrots and corn chips.

Casey was out of town for work on Thursday night. I made myself a meal that he would never eat:

Sounds weird, tastes great!

I call this "corn salad," and that is basically all it is. I cook some corn and mixed it up with a little mayo, lime juice, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt and pepper. Then I put it on a bed of lettuce, coated in a cilantro-lime vinaigrette, and topped it with lots of (0% lactose) cheddar cheese and fresh cilantro. It tastes a lot like Mexican corn, and the oils and fats help me digest the lettuce. I think it's yummy!

10/11/2013

We ate dinner out with my Aunt Kevin, who was in town visiting! Lucky us!

10/12/2013

We hung out around the house so Aunt Kevin could have maximum baby-cuddling time. I made scones for our late breakfast, and queso with chips for a late-afternoon snack.

Casey and I made hamburgers for dinner. I prepped everything and he handled the grilling.

I think this is the best food-photo I've ever taken.

I mixed garlic and onion into the patties, as well as the spices we like. Each burger was a third of a pound. Casey and I each ate two, and Kevin ate one. We served them with lettuce, tomato, mayo, ketchup, and mustard. I had cheese on mine as well.

10/13/2013

I cooked up breakfast in the morning--eggs and bacon. We didn't really eat lunch--just ice cream (or frozen yogurt, in my case) from Oberweis! We also stopped for coffee and a snack at Sugar Fixe. Kevin, Fae, and I tooled around downtown Oak Park, and we met up with Casey before we went to dinner. We were thrilled to celebrate with honorary-Auntie Kel, who ran the Chicago marathon on Sunday!
Hurray Auntie Kella!


In summary, we ate out for dinner twice this week--once more than usual--because we were celebrating! Our groceries would have allowed us to cook in. It probably came out even, though, because we were feeding one extra adult all week while my aunt visited. It was a great week, and hopefully these meal ideas are helpful to you. Enjoy!