“Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.” –Thoreau

30 August 2012

I Am Proud of My Size!

I wear a size 10.

What does it really mean to be proud of your size?

According to Rachele of The Nearsighted Owl,
it's pretty simple:
"Don't be ashamed of your number or let it keep you from living your life and doing what you love."


It's not about vanity, or even about physical health.
It's about mental wellness,
about learning to be at peace
with where you fit in the world.

You see, I think many women are ashamed to talk about their weight or size not because they feel unhealthy, but because they feel unattractive. I've certainly been there. Choosing to view ourselves, to judge ourselves, based on the perceptions of others is self-defeating.


It indicates nothing about our mind, our wellness, our soul.

It has no bearing on our real worth.


 There are women larger than me who are much, much healthier. There are women smaller than me who are less so. There are bigger, smaller, fatter, skinnier women than me all over the world who excel in areas where I lack. I excel in areas they might struggle with. And none of that is predetermined by our dress size. We are so much more.


We are daughters, sisters, wives, mothers, nieces, aunts, cousins, and grandchildren. We are mathematicians or we aren't. We are artists or we aren't. We are big or small or short or tall. And all of that matters,
but it also doesn't matter at all.


At the end of the day, we are all of equal value.
We all take up the same space in the universe.
Nothing and no one can change that.
No one should try.


My name is Jennifer Cary Diers.
I wear a size 10.
What about you?