“Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.” –Thoreau

11 September 2011

A cinquain, a photo, a memory.


I CANNOT MAKE THIS BEAUTIFUL. I CANNOT.





she died

the way i would

not want:





       sweat and grasping









       breath

              rattling loud enough to






                                        fore


    warn god.









 
 
 
 
 
 
The school administration told our teachers not to tell us.
Matt Davis, my speech coach, refused.
He was the first teacher to turn on the news, shortly after the second tower was hit.
Passing students just stopped to stare.
Eventually, Davis wheeled his TV into the hallway because his classroom had filled up.
My mother, like so many other parents, called my cell phone crying.
I sat on the concrete steps outside until my legs stopped shaking.
Then I walked home alone.


Blessings, everyone.