“Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above morality. Be not simply good; be good for something.” –Thoreau

07 March 2011

Prose poem #2.

Without Appropriate Gratitude



In Sunday School,
hands clasped,
heads bowed but peeking, always
peeking up to see who is peeking too,
we listen to someone

tell God how thankful we are.


Praying makes us all seem grateful

when you do it for the group.

I am thankful for my Barbie mini-van.
For my Lisa Frank notebooks.
For the ball which bounced out
of someone else’s four-square square.

I am thankful for the A
on the exam I did not study for.
For the friends who passed on phony secrets
and got another girl in trouble.

For eating lunch at the right table.
I am thankful for sneaking in uncaught after curfew.
For losing three pounds.
For the way he looked at me today.

I am not thankful for God’s ability to
feed thousands
with some bread and fish.

I think bread and fish
sound like prison food.

Someone else’s thankfulness is forced upon me and I think...

well, I find it absurd.

I think that I’ve never really learned
to be thankful

this way.
That right way.

Amen.